K9MD seeks additional detector dog trainer
We have an exciting opportunity for an additional detector dog trainer to join the K9MD team. Medical Detection dogs are a valuable diagnostic tool and a key component of the trainer’s role is to ensure the delivery of a consistently high standard of training.
To be successful in this role you will have the following essential skills:
- Experience and demonstrated ability in training, handling and deploying detector dogs in an operational capacity (minimum 2 years).
- A strong knowledge and understanding of canine behaviour, motivation and learning psychology with relevant qualifications and proven application.
- Demonstrated understanding in the overall care and management of working scent detector dogs with current up-to-date knowledge in dog behaviour and training principles.
- Experience with scent work, with an understanding and appreciation of the challenges involved with working with minute sample odour.
- High attention to detail and vigilance when handling training samples.
- A background in science is desirable.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (both written and oral).
- An agile mind to continue learning with the ability to think on your feet and problem solve.
- A strong work ethic, physically fit and capable to handle multiple large breed dogs.
- A full clean driver's licence and confidence to drive a van.
- A positive, can-do attitude with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
As a K9MD Trainer your role will involve:
-Scent detection training and deployment of assigned K9MD dogs.
-Adopting the current training methodology to achieve training outcomes.
-Completing validation and certification of assigned K9MD dogs.
-Follow training direction of the Senior Canine Trainer and collaborate to develop the future of the K9MD scent detection team.
-Ensure the fitness, welfare and safety of any assigned K9MD dogs.
-Follow the required sample handling policies and procedures.
-Conduct scent imprinting and search development of any assigned dogs.
This is a unique opportunity to join an experienced team and contribute towards a highly rewarding goal by working high drive detector dogs using innovative scent detection equipment. If you believe you have what it takes and the desire to contribute towards the K9MD mission then apply now with your curriculum vitae and a cover letter telling us what skills and experience you have to offer.
All applications sent only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications without a cover letter or sent to an alternative email will not be considered. Shortlisted applicants will be required to undergo a practical and written assessment.
K9MD is a charitable trust which relies solely on community funding. This role is a 12 month contract with an intention of renewal dependant on funding.
K9 Medical Detection NZ priorities the health and safety of their staff and the community with whom we engage. K9MD supports the Government vaccination programme to help protect against Covid-19. Applicants will be expected to provide evidence of full Covid-19 vaccination as part of the recruitment process.
Applications close 04th May 2022.